In this Racer’s Edge podcast episode, Embracing Change, we visit with special guest and host, Dena Kirkpatrick, to discuss the history of Racer’s Edge and our long-time working relationship. You will learn about some of our personal experiences with riding and training horses as well as our favorite equine products and motivational quotes.
Conversation Fact Check
- The first episode of Racer’s Edge aired in January 2014.
- Dena Kirkpatrick: One Smooth Motion pairs with DenaOneSmoothMotion YouTube videos to share the mental and physical aspects in regards to training a barrel horse.
- In 2007, Jeye worked with Horsecity.comTV to create what they refer to as “Meet the Girl” videos that aired on Horsecity’s show on RFD-TV, which you can now find here.
- Racer’s Edge will be reformatting to a one-hour special on Ride TV in 2019.
- Barrel futurity races date back to the early 1970’s, the Barrel Futurities of America was formed on September 22, 1983 with the help of Florence Youree, Pat Hutter, and Sue Sistruck.
- The divisional 4D barrel races were formed in 1992 by the National Barrel Horse Association.
- Correction to Dena’s story- she first attended the first NBHA finals in Augusta, GA not Atlanta, GA. Augusta still hosts the finals today.
- RFDTV The American
- World Champion Rodeo Alliance (WCRA)
Dena’s Favorite Quotes:
“At some point, everything’s gonna go south on you and you’re going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That’s all it is. You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem and you solve the next one, and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home.”
–The Martian with Matt Damon
“I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
– Michael Jordan
Kate’s Always First
Dena’s Super Mare
|Saddle Pad||Suede Top Zone Saddle Pad|
Mentioned by Jeye: Legacy Tall Hind Boot
RE Crew’s Horse Profiles
MP Call Me Corvinus aka “Corvin”
Human: Jeye Johnson
Corv likes to take it easy, he doesn’t like to over think or over exert. Thinks it’s a “goofy thing but hey-he’s doing alright”.
Easters Sweet Note aka “Annie”
Human: Hannah Haugen
Song: No Scrubs by TLC
Annie is a hard worker and selective with affirmations of love, does not thrive on human contact.
Kate Always First aka Kate
Human: Dena Kirkpatrick
Kate is not too feminine, slightly intimidating, yet eloquent. A total stand out most likely out hanging with the boys.